Tuesday 12 June 2012

How To Deal With Wear and Tear on Drywall


Hello everyone, today I'm going to talk about drywall, specifically drywall repair. Over time, any house that you live in is bound to get some wear and tear, especially on the drywall. I remember my brother sending my head through a wall or two when I was younger.

When Do You Need Repairs?



Depending on how picky you are about your house, it may be okay to leave a small bump or crack here or there, but when you notice big holes in your walls, they need to be fixed. Here's why:

  • Big holes are ugly
  • Leaving big holes compromises the fire retardant nature of drywall
  • Leaving big holes could expose you to toxins that may be inside your walls

What Do You Do?



How To Repair Drywall

If you are comfortable working with drywall, and don't have anything better to do, you can use the following steps as a guideline:

  • carefully cut out the damaged area (as long as it's not too big)
  • cut a new piece of drywall so it fits snug,
  • use drywall tape to secure the piece (depending on the size)
  • plaster it carefully back
  • sand it
  • reprime the drywall
  • paint over it
(Note that different jobs require different steps, learn more here.)

Or, if you're like me and value your free time, you can just hire someone to do it. Professionals are so experienced with this kind of thing that they can do it way quicker than I ever could so I really find that it's worth hiring them. This is especially true for any damage larger than a few inches. I could probably do it if I wasted a day or two, or I could get someone like this to do it in no time.

You can call me lazy, but I prefer having a job done professionally so that it lasts longer and is done properly. Now that you know what's involved in drywall repair, I urge you to make the same decision as me --  it's so much simpler!

No comments:

Post a Comment